Top tips for helping your animals keep cool and comfortable this summer
We would like to give you some advice on helping keep your pets comfortable and safe in the warm weather. Heat related injury and sometimes death can happen so please be mindful when enjoying the sun.
- NEVER NEVER NEVER leave your dog in the car, caravan or conservatory when it is sunny. Temperatures will rise as high as 47°C in a very short period of time and can be deadly. Do not leave them even for a minute.
- Avoid walking your dogs during the hottest part of the day. Dogs will overheat and suffer heat exhaustion or heat stroke quite easily. Better to chose early morning or later in the evening.
- Avoid walking you dogs on hot roads and hot tarmac, it will burn their foot pads.
- Ensure your pets have access to shade and cool places.
- Always make sure they have access to fresh water. You can add ice cubes into it to help cool them.
- Offer paddling pool or damp towels for your dogs to lie on.
- Look for signs of heat exhaustion which are drooling, lethargy, heavy panting, excessive thirst, vomiting/diarrhoea, staggering/wobbling, collapse. If you see any of these signs contact us immediately.